Sign in to follow this  
ilya

How it all started

I started with internet marketing in early 2011.

In my first six months, I've discovered a method and developed my own small money making machine.
It was a fully automated solution which hijacked traffic from other websites and sent those visitors to my landing pages.
Right there I presented highly relevant CPA offers, which resulted in pure profits. The entire system had almost zero costs, except for hosting.

startup-business.jpg

I had it running until mid 2013 when all of a sudden it all collapsed, I had to find something else. Entrepreneurship is all about flexibility I guess.

Thanks to my very first venture, I've learned how to code, right then I decided to create automation software, because I like autopilot solutions. Before I knew I was full-time in the software business. Until this day I still am in this industry, with Clicktrait being my latest piece of art.

But why Clicktrait?

Over the years, from 2011 to 2016, every single day I was trying to make more sales (and conversions) today than yesterday. Without even knowing it early on, it was called Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO). It is a collection of systems or methods, with the sole purpose of increasing a website's conversion rate, thus generate more money / leads / opt-ins.

One of my most favorite strategies early on was A/B testing, I didn't even know it had a name. But the idea was to test different logos, headlines and buy buttons to determine which would get the most sales. Because I knew I was selling to people and some will prefer one image over another. Human beings are emotional creatures, what they see and what they read is impacting their behavior every single second. But that was all I knew, luckily, the reality is that A/B testing is all you have to know to get started.

Mid 2015 I made a study and reflected on my successes. What I found out was that A/B testing has made me A LOT of revenue. Without A/B testing the buy-buttons on one of my landing pages, I would've made $10,000.- less that year. Luckily I did and I was able to reap the benefits of it. I didn't realize how helpful it was for my own business until I analyzed its results and impact.

A/B testing is changing a few simple, but important parts of your website. And then tracking how they perform.

Here's an example of an original website:

wpp a.png

This one as a new version of the website:

wpp ori.png

The art of A/B testing is to track how many people click on the "Send a message" link on the original version versus the second version. Once we have collected enough data (clicks), we can say which version works best.

This insight led to the idea of developing a tool which would allow me to A/B test my websites easier, faster and better.
It had to be easy and fast because my initial approach was custom code that dumped data (using PHP) in a text file. And afterwards I had to write a script to process all of that data manually. You can imagine how un-sexy it was.

php processing.png
This is how it was like.

Clicktrait months 1-3

A lot of things were still manual at start. My first priority was to establish a track-and-store system.
This would track clicks on certain elements, but also rotate our A/B elements.
So it was already a successful A/B testing tool for my own private use.

dashboard.png

I started playing around with data aggregation and trying to get the most out of the data.
The idea was to discover new ways for interpreting data, in a way other companies weren't doing it.

IMG_24102015_234114.png

IMG_25102015_004820.png

Not all charts proved to be useful and meaningful, some were completely useless or hard to understand. That's why I got rid of them.

I also realized that a regular database such as SQL and MySQL won't do the job. We had to use big data solutions, a NoSQL database for storing everything.

IMG_22102015_184654.png

Some more screenshots of tests I ran back then:

IMG_26102015_010947.png

IMG_26102015_010956.png

Clicktrait months 3-8

There was a lot of experimentation and bug fixing involved during the first 8 months. And in the end, a lot of features have changed throughout the process.

IMG_05112015_213052.png

The  visual website editor was really the "must have" feature. Without it, easy A/B testing wouldn't be possible.

demo.png

And now, more than 8 months later, on July 8, 2016 -- this is how Clicktrait's visual editor looks like:

2k16.png

The Click-rate distribution pie chart, shows us exactly how many people clicked our CTA from which A/B versions they were shown.

results.png

And just recently we've implemented heat maps, which show us how users behave on our website. What makes this feature unique is that the heat map is different for each A/B version. It allows us to see the impact on our visitor's behavior.

heat maps.png

This is just the beginning of our journey.
Our goal and mission is to help companies, individuals and agencies with online marketing.
Having a website and getting traffic is just two thirds of the puzzle, the last piece is all about Conversion Rate Optimization.
It is the golden key that turns non-buyers into buyers through testing and psychology.

See you next time!

• Like 1